Sunday 22 March 2009

Racing!

Ive finally started racing and im loving it. Both road races so far but i have felt in both races stronger than i thought i would, although one thing keeps letting me down... cramp!
The two races were very very different:

1. Milton Keynes Bowl Womens Crit race.
I really enjoyed this race. It was only short and i was in the scratch group with the rest of my team mates and we were given the near impossible task of catching and lapping another group. I can't say i knew exactly what was going on in the race most of the time. The concept different helmet cover colours signifying what group you were in really didnt help. But i stayed in the front group all of the race. I could feel the cramp coming on as the race went on everytime i got out of the saddle, so when it came to the final sprint, my perfect lead out by Jenn was wasted with cramp just killing my legs, so i think i finished around 6th.

2. Dick Longdragon RR.
This was near Aberdeen and i went there to race with my boyfriend Ross Creber. It was an E 1 2 3 4 race so everyone set off together and it was really long at 115km, which is the longest race i have ever done. So i just went into it thinking i'll do what i can. The minute i got in the bunch i loved it. The pace was fast but i didnt feel out of my comfort zone and i just stayed in the wheels as attack went off the front (usually by my bloody boyfriend speeding the race up). The course had lots of long gradual climbs which really suited me as i could just roll a big gear. All was going well until we hit this one climb which needed me to get out of the saddle. Cramp! Again! I wasnt even expecting it this time. I fought really hard to pedal through it and i nearly made contact with the bunch again but then another attack went and it sped up again. But i didnt think race over. Alot of men had already been dropped by this point and so i quickly got into another group and carried on. They were talking about not finish and riding back to HQ but i said i was going to finish and so i think that made them think they had to finish too, with me being a girl and all. This group did frustrate me, they didnt always push hard and i found my self having to go to the front alot especially up the hills and drag them along. By the finish we were obviously quite a way down on the main bunch. But i was happy to have finished and to have finished strong, with good fueling and positive attitude, oh and also 1st woman! Ross won it too so it was a good trip! :)
I was disappointed to have cramped, i think i could have definately stayed in the bunch alot longer, and now im on a mission to stop it from happening.

Next weekend, team launch! and first mtb race Whinlatter Challenge. Although at the moment im mtb-less, im still looking forward to it :)

Thanks
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment